compost

Killer lung infection that lurks in your compost

Thousands of cases of a life-threatening condition caused by mould lurking in compost heaps, pillows and duvets are being missed in UK hospitals, experts warn.

The illness – called invasive aspergillosis – develops when tiny particles of a common fungus, called aspergillus are inhaled into the lungs, causing an infection which sometimes reaches other organs via the bloodstream.

The average person breathes in hundreds of these invisible spores every single day – and to most people, they are harmless.

But for millions of Britons with lung conditions, weakened immune systems, or even severe flu and Covid-19, they can pose a risk – growing out of control, and invading the delicate lining of the lungs.

Balls of fungus can even grow, blocking the airways and causing damage.

Thousands of cases of a life-threatening condition caused by mould lurking in compost heaps, pillows and duvets are being missed in UK hospitals, experts

Read More