If the search box is missing, please refresh your web browser by hitting F5. The database search might not work on all mobile apps or web browsers.
The News-Star obtained food safety inspection information for September 2020 from the Louisiana Department of Health.
One restaurant had at least five critical violations, and those are listed with explanations of the finding.
According to the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, uncorrected critical violations are more likely to contribute to food contamination or illness. Non-critical violations are not directly related to food-borne illness but could become critical if uncorrected.
Keep your fridge as cold as possible for food safety.
August: See the Top 6 NELA restaurants with health violations
In total, there were about 992 violations in the region, and approximately 27% of those were critical. About 438 were repeated violations.
About 490 problems were corrected while the inspector was on site, and many were eliminated by a later inspection.
By parish, violations were:
- Ouachita: 111 addresses inspected — 443 total violations — 149 critical
- Caldwell: 15 — 32 — 2
- East Carroll: 6 — 46 — 11
- Franklin: 14 — 26 — 5
- Jackson: 13 — 37 — 9
- Lincoln: 40 — 131 — 21
- Madison: 30 — 97 — 31
- Morehouse: 2 — 6 — 0
- Richland: 25 — 78 — 19
- Tensas: 11 — 51 — 9
- Union: 24 — 25 — 3
- West Carroll: 13 — 20 — 4
July: See the NELA establishments with the most health code violations
Most of the critical violations across the region were for:
- Toxic storage: 49
- Food contact and utensils cleaned: 42
- Food-to-food cross-contamination: 37
- Toxic labeling: 25
You don’t have to follow all expiration dates. Here’s how long some popular foods actually last.
No violations were found at 42 of the 307 addresses inspected. About 159 addresses had no critical violations.
Check eatsafe.la.gov for the most recent inspection information available and information on how to file a complaint.
Analysis: Why doesn’t Louisiana score restaurants based on health inspections?
Start canning food at home with these tips.
The following information about critical violations is listed by address. Some permit holders might have multiple locations. Check the database for additional information on food safety inspections.
1. Brushy Bayou Restaurant, 266 U.S 65, Tallulah (7 total violations 5 critical violations)
- Corrected on site: Food stored for cold-holding and service in one prep cooler was not held at a temperature of 41°F or cooler.
- Corrected on site: Ready-to-eat potentially hazardous food prepared on premises, and held under refrigeration, was not disposed of after seven days. The staff voluntarily discarded the affected food.
- Corrected on site: Raw chick and raw eggs were not separated from ready to eat food, or was placed, stored or displayed above ready-to-eat food.
- Corrected on site: Ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous food prepared on premises and held in the walk-in cooler for more than 24 hours was not date marked.
- Corrected on site: Soap was stored with/above food, equipment, utensils, linens, single-service or single-use articles.
Read or Share this story: https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/life/food/2020/10/12/see-restaurant-most-health-violations-nela/5939005002/